Sunday 7 March 2010

Julia's actual words

Thanks to the BBC iPlayer I have found exactly what Falmouth & Camborne's Lib Dem MP Julia Goldsworthy told the audience on BBC 3's "First Time Voters' Question Time" last week. The question was about the future of BBC Radio's Asian Network and 6 Music channels. If Julia thinks she has been misquoted, she might like to look at what the record shows:
"I mean they're a public sector broadcaster, so they have to think of the public good, and there's a really fine line to be trod there, between going for the mainstream and making sure that you cater for niche interests. But I just think I would go to other areas where there's already, you know, competition in the market, like Radio One. Where, you know, there's a really vibrant commercial sector. (Question: Do you listen to Radio One?) Well I think those kind of big questions need to be looked at. Not, kind of picking off things around the edges. For example, the impact that a lot of the BBC's websites have on local internet sites. So I think it's those kind of issues that need to be looked at. Where there are already markets there, where they're having a disproportionate influence. While not losing sight of the kind of niche areas that I think they need to represent. They need to be there. It's part of being a public sector broadcaster."


No comments:

Post a Comment