Tuesday 1 June 2010

Fed's exit

Just watched Robin Soderling thump a tennis ball harder than I ever thought possible, and knock the world's best-ever player Roger Federer out of the French Open.

For an old has-been like myself, plummeting down the rankings faster than one of Soderling's serves (currently a mere 668 places behind Andy Murray in the GB lists,) it's the painful, reluctant acceptance that most of today's athletes really are bigger, faster and stronger than they were in the 1960s and 70s.

They are much more professional, of course, and the financial rewards far greater. Is the same true of our politicians? Would David Cameron beat the living daylights out of Harold Wilson? I have to say I doubt it - a line of argument I would be happy to make my last trench.

No comments:

Post a Comment