Saturday 24 July 2010

Did I agree to this?

sainsburysI've just had this postcard from the supermarket chain Sainsbury's, lobbying me to support the company's planning application for a new store at Wadebridge. Similar cards have been sent to thousands of addresses in the Wadebridge area and surrounding villages.

It looks as if Sainsbury's has got these names and addresses from the electoral roll and I'm sure there's nothing illegal about it. The sale of this data probably makes a small amount of money for the council. Nevertheless, I didn't go on the electoral roll in order to become a marketing target and if there was a "please don't use me this way" box I must have failed to tick it.

Ironically, in my household, the greatest enthusiast for supermarkets is my younger daughter. She didn't get a card from Sainsbury's - she's not quite old enough to vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment