Tuesday 12 October 2010

And where is that?

I'm grateful to the colleague who yesterday drew my attention to the official BBC guide to pronunciation. It's part of the BBC's labyrinthine internal website and I had never known that just by typing in "Launceston," for exampe, I could hear a speak-your-weight machine telling me the correct way to say it when reading the news (my query had been prompted by a newsroom discussion over Kabul. Is it Ka-bull, or Kar-bull? The BBC says it's Kar-bull.)

The BBC's recommended pronunciation of Launceston is "Lawn-sun" which came as something of a surprise because I've always called it "Lawn-stun" although I know many locals who call it "Lan-sun."

I once followed the Mayor of Launceston to Launceston in Tasmania for a story about local car parking (regional media had bigger budgets in those days) and was amused to discover that our cousins Down Under call it something else - "Lawn-cess-ton." I wonder if Cornish settlements around the world actually now have more authentic pronunciation of our towns and villages than we do?

I now look forward to hours of harmless fun typing in words to the BBC's pronunciation guide. Suggestions please.

No comments:

Post a Comment