Monday 18 April 2011

Who can and can't vote in Cornwall

Among a million other things, I'm working on a story about voter registration in Cornwall which I hope will bear fruit later this week. One thing I've learned is that about 4 per cent of those who should be entitled to vote in Cornwall are missing from the register. That's about 22,000 people. I have previously explained how second home owners have the potential to exercise undue influence, particularly in low-turnout local council elections - but the missing voters have the potential to change the result in every single Cornish Parliamentary constituency. I'm not suggesting that following the purge of nearly 1,000 second home owners from the register, there is no longer an issue. But perhaps it's time for someone to start campaigning for the rights of the missing voters, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment